Do you know?
Do you understand quite how vitally important your domain name is? Your domain name is ;
- Your website
- Your email address
- Your intellectual property!
And if you don’t have access to it – then someone else has the ability to;
- Change / remove / delete your website
- Change / remove / delete / add email addresses
You might not think that is such a big deal but what if someone inserted a rude website in place of yours, or used your email address to spam people … the consequences can be huge!!
It used to be quite simple to find out who owned domain names – you would do a WHOIS ie a look up – and it would tell you ;
- The domain name
- The registrant information
- Where its being stored
- and potentially who the admin contact was
Now however – since the introduction of GDPR some of that information is hidden – which makes it much harder to work out who owns it and where its kept.
It is still possible but adds an extra layer of complexity.
Why does it really matter though.. yes indeed quite often a friend or neighbour or web designer, graphic designer someone you came across purchased that domain name for you – quite often some of these people not really understanding the whole idea might have purchased that domain name – IN THEIR NAME.. which means they own it!! you don’t – seriously the registrant contact details of any domain name is the person that owns that domain name. And if that is not you … So maybe you and they part company or you forget who it was – you now need to get that domain name back. Often its as simple as asking them – but sometimes its not that simple and you have to go down the route of proving that that domain name is yours, and if your name is not the registrant then that gets a little bit harder, and if you don’t have invoices to prove you have paid for that domain name well life can get very sticky indeed! How about a rename rebrand?!
So what should you do
- firstly find out who has access to your domain name,
- then find out who the registrant is
- if its NOT you – ask for that to be changed asap!
- if it is you and you are happy you know who has it – you are good
- if not – give me a call and I can help get your domain name back for you and into an account with someone you can trust!
Don’t ignore it and leave it until its too late!!